One Sandal Peru: An Andean Adventure

8 November to 12 December 2006: Celebrating Peru And the Marriage of Luis & Andrea

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Travel Tale, Update

I get off the bus from Huaraz in Trujillo yesterday at about 530 in the morning. I slept OK, but there is nothing worse than waking up and five minutes later someone incessantly calling in your ear about hotels, tours, taxis, etc. Anyway, I walk out into the street and agree to a 15 soles ride out to the beach town of Huanchaco. The guy, however, does not have a proper yellow taxi, but instead has a beatup black VW Beetle that is incapable of going faster than 50 kph. The best part was where he told me to put on my seat belt, which was a canvas strap that attached to nothing (I assume in case the policia saw us drive by). And we get out to the beach, and the guy cannot make change for a 20 soles note. Absurd.

***

Had a nice day at the beach yesterday. Saw Chan Chan (awesome), then a few minot Chimu sites, then had a big plate of ceviche. Ended up sharing a room with a German named Simone and a Scottish girl who calls herself Kate. Had a nice chat with them at the terrace at Casa Suiza in Huanchaco last night and a pleasant breakfast as well before they headed off to Chan Chan themselves this morning.

Trujillo is a charming enough place. I had a look around some today.



Took a collectivo out to the Huacas del Moche this afternoon, muy bueno. Frescos from literally thousands of years ago. Very, very cool.



Anyway, another overnight bus to Lima tonight. Should spend a couple of hours at Luis´s flat, then I am off on a plane to the jungle. Iquitos is supposed to be very fun, and I am quite excited about a week in the middle of the Amazon lowland. The jungle is the missing part of the survey of Peru: hot and humid, lots of green, and tons of crazy wildlife. And do not worry, I got a fiebre amarillo vaccine last week at the airport in Lima (and I did it all in español).

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Website Counter